Saturday, November 21, 2009

#2 Remembering Past Who Episodes - Doctor Who (The Movie)


I know it's not a episode, but oh well.
I watched this last month, I think... and I've always wanted to share my views on it. Well, I've got my chance now, don't I? 'Doctor Who - The Movie' features 8th Doctor Paul McGann (and we also get to see the 7th Doctor, Sylvester McCoy, one of my favourite Doctors), the Master (Eric Roberts), and two 'companions' to the Doctor and the Master (sort of, eh?), Chang Lee (Yee Lee Tso) and Grace (Daphne Ashbrook). First of all, I've got to say... I was pretty excited about seeing the film and all that. So I thought 'I'm gonna watch the movie, it will be real Doctor Who and Bob's your uncle!', but I've got to admit I was fairly disappointed. I know the movie was made to attract American viewers to the show, but co'mon... that wasn't Doctor Who. And if that was the so called 'Americanised' version of it... I'm not sure I'd love it as much as I do now. I know plenty of American people who don't like the film. Mind you, Hollywood movie productions are fantastic, but I didn't like this adaptation of Doctor Who. Simply because it ain't Doctor Who.

Let's start with the things I didn't like... The interior of the TARDIS, for example. It looked like a temple. Like a cathedral. And the TARDIS may be big on the inside, but that doesn't mean it has to look like St. Paul's. I didn't like the console... it didn't look very realistic to me. Sure you can say 'and the other one was??', well, the answer is yes. It was more realistic. Less flashing lights and more Doctorish buttons and levers. I think Eric Roberts is a pretty good actor, but that wasn't the Doctor. That was the chap what stands outside clubs to let you in. That didn't look like the Master in any way. I mean... the Master being so... I dunno... strange. I can't even put it to words. Chang Lee was alright, and I liked Grace as well. The plot was fairly good, although I have to mention some things... Firstly, the Doctor wouldn't die just because of getting shot. No way, my son. That was very disappointing and to be honest, harsh. I didn't like that scene. Maybe it's because I love Seven, but who knows. Second of all (and this is good one)... I think it was good making the Doctor get closer to a human... The New Series showed us that, so that was a good move. Paul was absolutely fantastic as Nine, but I wasn't excepting any less of him, he's a great actor and it's a pity we didn't get to see more of his incarnation.

I know some people will think I am being too much of a pessimist regarding the film... but let's think of it. Classic DW is known for its low budgets and wacky Doctors. And I love it that way... That's what DW is all about, making less look like more. And even if you think of the new Series, all that charm and magic is still there, because it is not all about special effects and the lot... It gives you a palpable perspective of the Doctor's life... The Daleks are there, the TARDIS is there. They're not a computer image, they're the real deal. And it works for me. Oh, does it!

No comments: