Sunday, November 22, 2009

Back to the Doctor Who Proms 2008


Given the fact that I'm such a Doctor Who geek, I spent the entire day watching DW. Oh, what a choker, isn't it? Well, yeah, I am a Whovian, and what else can I do with my spare time? Read a book, check: 'Back to the Vortex' (Series 1 and 2). Watch a movie, check: 'Doctor Who movie'. Watch a documentary, check: 'Doctor Who Confidential'. Watch a TV show, check: 'Blue Peter' with Jon Pertwee. It's a laugh. But yeah, let's just say that the highlight of my weekend (apart from the release of 'Dreamland') was rewatching the DW proms. One of the things I love the most about the new version of the sci-fi show is the incidental music and the characters' themes. They are so wonderful and make me cry a lot... that's how good they are! If you own the soundtracks, then you know what I'm talking 'bout: listening to a certain song makes you go back in time (how appropriate) and remember the whole episode: each character's lines, the plot, the monsters involved, the Doctor in it, the lot. The combination of the strings and brass sections is a winner. I'd like to thanks the BBC National Orchestra, Ben Foster and, above all, Murray Gold. Murray is a genius and I had already listened to some of his pieces in other shows, but I never got really into his songwriting until DW hit the screens. Then I aknowledged his talent as a composer... he truly is one of a kind and is, in my honest opinion, one of the best composers of the 21st century. His pieces make you want to cry, laugh and share your time with the Doctor... 'Doomsday' makes you want to go to Norway and hug Rose, 'Song of Freedom' makes you cry along with Donna, and 'The Girl From The Fireplace' transports you back to Madame de Pompadour's France. He is truly gifted and for all this, I thank him. As I've said to him before (through Twitter, I never thought he was going to reply!), I think he is amazing, and I'll say it again if I have to: MURRAY GOLD IS SIMPLY AMAZING. Call me sentimental, but all his songs touch my heart, and bring me one step closer to the almighty Doctor every time I listen to them.

Freema Agyeman made a terrific job presenting the venue, and I was quite excited when Catherine Tate appeared. All the kids were so terrified and yet so fascinated by the perfection that DW is. All the monsters - the Ood, the Daleks, the Cybermen, Davros, the Sontarans, the Judoon - were hand-picked, of course: they're the most popular and characters like the Daleks and the Cybermen are now iconic in Britain. The TARDIS was there, too: lit up and looking so... transcendental as it actually is. 'Music of the Spheres' was fantastic, great acting from our lovely David!!, and very, very funny as well. 'Ode to the Universe' should be added to my playlist... just for the fun. I might do it someday. The Graske was a good addition to the show, specially when he steals the Doctor's water pistol - for Ten fans, just as iconic as the sonic screwdriver (not really!). Anyway, I'll leave you now... I'll be preparing a post about 'Dreamland', so keep your eyes peeled for that!



No comments: