Thursday, July 01, 2010

Johnny Depp to be the Doctor?? - Commented News Item


Flavour-of-the-decade actor Johnny Depp could take on the role of Doctor Who in a big screen spin-off of the popular TV series. Not if I’ve got any say in it, says blogger Andrew Owen. And as I have absolutely no say in it whatsoever that means it’s probably a done deal.

The story was announced on the fantasy and science fiction website Tor.com. Apparently Russell T. Davies, who revived the series, is working on a US film version and Depp has signed up for title role. - Trust me, I have NOTHING against American films, but I am so not into this whole idea of making a US film version. Want to do it? Fine, but do it in Britain, ok? Remember 1996? The 'Doctor Who Movie'? I didn't like it one bit. It didn't feel like DW at all - at least, the main character was McGann, a fine actor.

From a personal point of view, I really hope this isn’t true. While I have absolutely no problem with Depp as an actor (and he is a great actor), shouldn’t the Doctor be played by a Brit? - Exactly my point! I love Johhny as an actor, but... I dunno... I know it’s a well-worn argument, but it would be like casting an American to play ‘Hank’ Potter, or ‘Jimmy’ Bond. It’s a question of the character.

Doctor Who is British. The last time the Americans got their hands on it we ended up with poor old Paul McGann poncing about in a wig and turning into the George Lazenby of Timelords. - :o That's it.

If the story is true then its a case of pound/dollar signs being put ahead of casting. Matt Smith is a fantastic Doctor, as was David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston, but as they’re not exactly box office in the US I don’t suppose our movie mogul chums would be keen to risk one of them in a film costing millions to make. It’s their loss.

Oh, hang on a minute, it’s not their loss. It’ll be ours.


(fan made video)

2 comments:

develish1 said...

You already know my thoughts on this Fran. I think "Oh dear god no!" is probably the shortest comment I can manage.

What's confusing me about all this though, and making me doubt it all the more, is that everyone keeps talking as though it's RTD in charge of this.

Unless there's been some very sneaky dealings in the background somewhere, surely no-one can make a film without the BBC's agreement, they own the copyright on DW after all, and they're keeping silent.

Fran said...

My thoughts exactly. 'Nooooooooo!'