Saturday, June 26, 2010

Football treat for Doctor Who star



Matt Smith has scored a top prize - winning a football shirt signed by his favourite team.
The Doctor Who star triumphed in a table soccer match and was rewarded with a Blackburn Rovers strip featuring the names of his favourite stars.
Matt - who was a talented footballer as a teenager - has already shown off his skills in a recent episode of the BBC1 series.
But he was tackled the table-top version when he appeared as a guest on ITV1's This Morning.
The time-travelling actor took on the show's Alison Hammond and was the first to get three goals - collecting his shirt as a reward.
"Thank you so much and thank you Blackburn Rovers," he said.
Matt had hoped to be a footballer as a teenager and trained with the Leicester City and Nottingham Forest youth academies.
"That's where my heart and soul was, definitely. But I got injured and this teacher encouraged me into acting and took a risk on me really by casting me in a play - but he always believed I would be an actor and he was a very big influence in my life," Matt said.
The latest series of Doctor Who ends tomorrow (Saturday), with details of the plot still under wraps.
But Matt said: "There's an important character coming back but I can't say who - it is very significant. It's a cracker. I watched it and was quite emotional, probably because it was the end of the series and we'd worked so hard and we'd got there."

No comments: