Thursday, June 03, 2010

The long-awaited 'Fish Custard' Verdict!

Yeah, yeah, I actually did it! I made my own fish custard and I have a say on how it tastes. It was great fun anticipating how it would taste... and I got it sort of... wrong!, I'm guessing. I knew I had to do it, what with being a Doctor Who fan, but I still hadn't had that urge to actually go ahead and do it. Last Friday, I just thought 'What the hell, I'm gonna do it'. I was on YouTube, watching Charlie's video on fish custard (charlieissocoollike) and he said something like 'if you're a Doctor Who fan, you've gotta have fish custard', or something along those lines, and that was like the tip of the iceberg. So YEAH, I did it. I'm a Doctor Who fan, damn it! :D I had wanted to do this for so long... ever since 'The Eleventh Hour''s debut, really.
Enough with the yakking, let's get cracking with the procedure, yeah?

I'm sorry for the quality of the photos. I took these with my cellphone and there wasn't much light left.


Whisking the yolks together with sugar...


Got my lovely fish fingers on the oven...



Heating up the milk (and being careful not to spill it all over the place)



Mix the yolk/sugar with the milk... Wait for it to cool a bit...



And voilà, lovely fish fingers and custard...



And here we go...


Final Verdict: As you can tell, I baked four fish fingers, and I can assure you there were none left. That pretty much tells you a lot about how it tastes. As I mentioned before, I had put my head to it an awful lot of times, wondering how it would taste. And I decided I should have a go at making custard, which only added to the fun - I didn't want to buy a 'ready to eat' one, although that was the one on the episode. I shall try it with that canned custard... What do you think?
I thought it would taste strange, a mixture both sweet and salty, the fish melting in my mouth and yet my not being able to tell whether I was eating fish fingers or some sort of custard dessert. I thought the combination would be a tad strange and maybe, just maybe!, a bit unpleasant. But actually (from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint)... it is rather nice. More than that, it is bloody delicious! You can tell the tastes apart, which is great. The custard sort of enhances the flavour of the fish whilst making it some sort of dessert, which is really odd, given it is... well, fish. It is so bleepin' good... I might have another go at it. No, really, I'm serious. I am!!

HAVE YOU TRIED IT YET? SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS IN HERE!


Om nom nom...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would but I don't like fish so I doubt i'll like this. But go you girl!

Fran said...

:D

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm.... i've been waiting to try this fish custard, and now i'm totally convinced! Thanks <3

Fran said...

You're welcome!